Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the tiny and much loved little cedar chest

I was most likely in my seventh year of life. The family lived in small town in New York State, very small town. We were city people. We were different. Our exposure to the wider world was - wider. When we traveled, most often to
various relatives, I collected little stuff from the journey - salt and peppers,
enveloped sugars, matches, stones (really little ones) - you know "little things"
that were only precious to me. 


My room (yes - I always had my own room) was the collecting point and no one was allowed to touch or see my "things." We all did this, right? Well, anyway
one day my dear Mother noticed and delivered to me a tiny, little cedar chest.
Oh! At Last! Something to house my special "things" in. And Oh - how wonderful-  it smelled! Cedar! 


This tiny, little chest measured six by ten by six. Does this make a picture? It
had brass handles on the ends to religiously carry it about and a place for a lock which I never had a lock for. It was my own little ark! I swooned over its aroma and I diligently chose the best of my collected artifacts to place in it.
Of course, in reckoning those things today they were not all that special, but then they were gold to me. 


It sat centered on the top of my bureau for all of my childhood and for too
many of the years of my adulthood. It is so hard to let go of these kind of "things." 


And so the years passed. The wonderful cedar smell remained as did those
precious items. Then one Christmas arrived. I had nothing to give my dear
God daughter, Angelina, and money was tight. I took a risk and emptied my
beloved chest, wrapped it in ribbons, and presented it to this wonderful little girl with saucer-like brown eyes. My expectation and fear overtook me. And
then, the story of the little chest was revealed and a glow of love and gratitude for a gift so chosen washed from Angelina to me and I felt so
awed and thankful for my choice. 


What was so special to me, was a part of me that I gave freely to one so
able to see the depth of the gift, would now enjoin her life and would grow
with her as it had with me. I was wonder-filled and so thankful. 


And so the life of the tiny, little cedar chest moves on to give another
the possibility to keep her cherished special "things" until it is time - yet
again - to pass it on to someone else, both special and new.


Merry Christmas!


R

No comments:

Post a Comment