Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent - A time of longing and being a little ticked off!

Just what is it about this season that gets me all riled up and in a self induced
frenzy of a kind? I don't/won't shop. I abhor the commercialization present in 
our common life at the malls. I can't buy Christmas gifts. I hardly even feel
guilty about it anymore.


What or where have we erred? This should be a season where we consider those with less and in greater need. Aren't we all just a little too comfortable? How do we shed ourselves of our continuing quest for more abundance, especially when that pursuit excludes others from the access to even basic needs? These are my seasonal questions, indeed they are my continuing questions. And I have to ask myself repeatedly, am I doing anything to address this stuff. I freely can say - not enough, never enough. This is not just a question asked by the faithful, it is a social justice issue, a human issue. 


I fail, and again I fail, but in failing I can raise the concern not only to myself but to others and maybe, just maybe - together - we can move our over-comfortable selves into action.


Perhaps then the joy of this season of waiting and expectation will mean
something tangible and Christmas will be more hopeful and Epiphany finally
become a true season of light.


I grapple. I hope. I ponder. I want to deeply celebrate. I need to be more
actively engaging in the change I want to happen.


Join me? Together it might just be really possible.




R

No comments:

Post a Comment