Friday, December 30, 2011

Samoa - Leap year - but not leap year........

Underreported here (i.e America), but I think of some significance. Odd in normal comprehension - perhaps - but December 30 just did not happen in Samoa.

Its sort of like February 29 occuring every four (leap-time) years. But different, because we know that three out of every four years it just
happens.

But the Samoans and nearby islands thought it best to be in harmony with New Zealand and Australia in "time" and voted to alter their time zone. OKAY...we know it is true in our own country as Indiana farmers never change to daylight savings time and stick vigorously to standard time. And the cows are most happy, we understand!

But Samoans sit on the IDL (International Date Line) so changing their
time zone made them lose an entire day. And that makes for a very intentional mini leapish year at the end of 2011.

I just love it. And fortunately for me my birthday was not the 30 December,
and of course I am unaffected if it was, since I do not live in Samoa. But for those it does........is this what Ponce de Leon called the fountain of youth?

I wonder...........Are the Samoans onto something?

R

No comments:

Post a Comment