Monday, June 3, 2013

Back yard drama/Rodin/WTF...

My back yard abuts a freshwater marsh. It is undermined by the former presence of woodchucks, also an abandoned septic system and the decaying under root systems of former weeping willows. To walk about my yard is to sometimes sink, falter and turn ones ankle or try to sidestep divots larger than a golfer's swing could envisage.

Imagine my surprise to look out onto my yard from my rear deck and see some "pre-historic"  creature trying to ascertain its whereabouts! Two divots of prior years had merged into a semi-mini-sinkhole like distribution of dirt with a turtle like creature saying WTF - where am I and how did I get here? This non petite creature appeared to have a shell of at least 18 inches by 12 inches and that is a conservative estimate from this left wing politico!

It seemed very disorientated. From the hole to a circular rendezvous and back again it was in an attempted safe behavior mode - at least that what I assumed. Water was a little far from its position and what the hell was it doing below the surface of my yard anyway? It all seemed so Japanese horror film-ish....you know like Rodin emerging from the mountain.....

I observed this for about an hour before heading into the city for a dental appointment. Arriving home at dusk - the soil disturbance was evident - but the perpetrator had disappeared  for the present. What will the morrow bring? Will my yard be the safe place it has always been? Are turtles - even large ones - herbivores and thus a danger to my new vegetable garden?

I just don't know. I sense an invasion, possible danger - as I said this is one big turtle. And its time to mow the lawn! Trying to pin this into my spiritual life, I ask what is the Spirit asking of me and what response is in order? How does one rescue a creature and lead it to water? What if I just do nothing?

Approaching midnight - so I guess I will wait for the dawn and do due diligence after sunrise,
after all - I do not have a working flashlight!




R


1 comment:

  1. Due diligence with a flashlight sounds like an idea. Old turtle critter may be like the lost sheep waiting to be found by compassionate eyesight and action. OR she is simply a misfit with an attitude. Quite an amazing sight. Keep us posted Rix.

    ReplyDelete